Self-Employed Assistance Scheme (SEAS)
Extension for month of July / August / September / October / November / December 2020 / January 2021 / February 2021 / March 2021 / April 2021 / May 2021 / June 2021
The SEAS for the month of July / August / September / October / November / December 2020 / January 2021 / February 2021 / March 2021 / April 2021 / May 2021 / June 2021 is applicable, in full, to self-employed individuals in the tourism sector in
the island of Mauritius. SEAS is extended for the month of March 2021 / April 2021 / May 2021 / June 2021, in full, to eligible self-employed of the tourism industry and related activities operating in Rodrigues.
The allowance is payable to those self-employed who have the necessary licence/permit from the relevant authorities to operate the following activities:-
- Hotels, guest houses, tourist residences and domaines;
- Tourist enterprises other than restaurants, pubs and tables d'hotes;
- Pleasure crafts engaged in commercial nautical activities;
- Travel agencies, tour operators, tourist guides or canvassers.
- Businesses deriving at least 50% of their income from goods sold or services provided to persons engaged in tourism activities as listed at 1 to 4 above
- Restaurants, pubs or tables d' hotes holding a tourist enterprise licence.**
- Contract car businesses or contract bus businesses.**
- Public attractions, amusement parks, natural sites and museums.**
- Holders of a licence, certificate or permit issued by the Tourism Authority or Beach Authority other than for skippers, or non-commercial pleasure crafts
- Licensee of Beach Authority
- Persons making handicrafts
- Stall holder in the Central Market engaged in the sale of tourist products as certified by the Municipal Council of Port Louis
- Taxi drivers operating at the airport, or based at a hotel.
- Baby sitter/ other self-employed individual working in a hotel or other tourist enterprise (tourist related activity).
- Skippers of commercial pleasure crafts whose 'employers' have not contributed to NPF; and
- Holder of public service vehicle license (contract bus) for the conveyance of tourist;
- Stallholders selling tourist products (other than in the Central Market), as certified by the relevant local authority; and
- An agent of a stallholder selling tourist product in the Central Market or other markets, as certified by the relevant authority.
- 20. An individual working with a holder of a Beach Trader Licence as a self-employed and whose name is mentioned in the Licence.
**Items (6) to (8) are applicable to businesses whose turnover has fallen by more than 50% in July / August / September / October and November 2020 as compared to the corresponding turnover in July / August / September / October and November 2019. For December 2020 / January 2021, February 2021/ March 2021/ April 2021/ May 2021 / June 2021, items (6) to (8) are applicable to businesses whose turnover has fallen by more than 40% as compared to the corresponding turnover in December 2019 / January 2020 / February 2020 / March 2019 / April 2019 / May 2019. However, this condition does not apply to a business which has been set up on or after 01 July 2019.
The applicant must be a self-employed or tradesperson of Mauritian nationality aged above 18 years and who has been economically active for the last 3 months.
The following individuals are NOT eligible to the scheme:
- an individual who is an employee, whether full-time or part-time;
- a person who is eligible to receive basic retirement pension;
- an individual who receives monthly social benefits;
- an individual pursuing higher studies on a full time basis;
- a person who is a dependent spouse;
- a person who was unemployed at the beginning of March 2020;
- an individual who forms part of a household having total monthly income (including passive income, e.g rent, dividends, interests or profits) exceeding Rs. 50,000;
- an individual who is in a business where he earns only passive income, e.g rent; or
- fisherman, or;
- an individual who receives monthly transitional unemployment benefits;
Eligible self-employed individuals and tradespersons will receive a financial support of Rs 5,100 for the period 01 July / August / September / October / November / December 2020 to 30 July / August / September / October / November / December 2020 and Rs 5,287 for the period January 2021 / February 2021 / March 2021 / April 2021 / May 2021 / June 2021. All payments will be credited to the applicants' bank account.
Pre-requisite (please read this section carefully before applying)
In order to apply for SEAS, an applicant should ensure that he has his National Identity Card, his mobile phone and his bank account details at hand. On providing the required information,
a one-time password (OTP) will be sent on the mobile phone number provided and the OTP will have to be entered in order to proceed with the application.
Click here to apply for Self-Employed Assistance Scheme (Tourist Sector)
In processing the applications under SEAS, the MRA will carry out internal checks to verify the correctness of claims. Thereafter, MRA will credit the amount to the bank account of the
Self- employed individuals who have already applied for the assistance for the month of June 2020 need not submit a new application for the month of July 2020 and other subsequent months,
provided they relate to the Tourist Industry.
Taxpayers accessing the service are advised to use a recent version of Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox as browser to file their return.